On This Day
September 15, 1916
Canadian 🇨🇦 troops capture the ruined village of Courcelette in France 🇫🇷.
For the first time, Canadians use tanks in combat.
Canada will suffer 24,000 casualties during the four-month Battle of the Somme.
- Canadian Politics » If the right-wing Conservative Party is elected next week, leader Erin O’Toole admits they would not meet Canada’s Paris Agreement climate commitments » CBC
Coronavirus / COVID-19 / Pandemic
- 1 in 500 U.S. residents now dead of Covid-19
- As of Tuesday night, 663,913 people in the US have died of Covid-19. According to the US Census Bureau, the US population as of April 2020 was 331.4 million.
- Hamilton heart surgeries cancelled to make room for unvaccinated » Hamilton Spectator
- Alberta healthcare system on verge of collapse as Covid cases and anti-vax sentiments rise » The Guardian
- Covid School Data Hub » A central database for educators, researchers, and policymakers to understand how the COVID-19 pandemic shaped students’ modes of learning in 2020-21.
- Can ‘zero COVID’ countries continue to keep the virus at bay once they reopen? » Science
- Strategies used in Asia and the Pacific may not be sustainable in the long run
- Ivermectin and the right-wing media’s con culture » Media Matters
- ‘Their Crisis’ Is ‘Our Problem’: Washington State grapples with Idaho Covid cases » NY Times 💲
“Surgeries to remove brain tumors have been postponed. Patients are backed up in the emergency room. Nurses are working brutal shifts. But at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, Wash., the calls keep coming: Can Idaho send another patient across the border?”
- 50 percent of ICU patients in Alabama have COVID-19.
— 𝚁𝚘𝚋𝚎𝚛𝚝 𝚅𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚝 🇨🇦 (@RobertVinet) September 15, 2021
- NBA is not requiring it’s players to get COVID-19 vaccine » The Hill
- California now the only state that’s moved out of CDC’s ‘high’ community transmission rate – SF Chronicle
- Anonymous claims to have hacked the controversial web hosting provider Epik, known for allowing far-right, neo-Nazi, and other extremist content » Security Affairs
- Congress will investigate claims that Facebook knows Instagram harms teens » The Verge
- If you own an Apple device — iPhone, iPad, Mac, Smart Watch — you should update it now — yes, right now. » NY Times💲/ Ars Technica
- Apple security flaw: How do ‘zero-click’ attacks work? » Security Week
- Microsoft’s security patch corrects 80 bugs » The Register / XDA Developers
- Apple announced the iPhone 13 yesterday. For the first time, Apple did not reported any CPU performance gains for the new A15 chip » Dylan Patel, SemiAnalysis
Apple has won, they’ve completely routed their opposition in culture and business. This event was almost comical in how little was new and interesting but we all still watched and they’re going to sell billions in blue phones and barely-new iPads
— Gerrit De Vynck (@GerritD) September 14, 2021
- To be fair, their presentation was made of of many flying drone shots. (Note » Apple doesn’t sell any drones.)
- Alanis Morissette bashes her HBO documentary ‘Jagged’: ‘This was not the story I agreed to tell’ » LA Times
- US Coast Guard spots Chinese warships off Alaska » South China Morning Post
- The High Court in London will formally contact Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, about allegations of sexual assault filed in a US court – BBC
In an absolute shock to people unfamiliar with California politics, Gov. Gavin Newsom handily defeated a recall effort pushed by Trumpian internet trolls, anti-vaccine COVID deniers, clueless Silicon Valley tech bros and the terminally hopeless California Republican Party.
— gil duran (@gilduran76) September 15, 2021
- Everyone is talking about what New York Congresswoman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is wearing—again. » Vanity Fair
- Book states General Mark Milley feared Trump might launch nuclear attack, made secret calls to China » USA Today
“This current president … who’s not fomenting an insurrection, who follows the rule of law, has complete confidence in Chairman Milley.”
— WH Press Sec. Jen Psaki on report that General Mark Milley took secret action to limit Trump’s ability to launch nuclear weapons. pic.twitter.com/2J7ELydrGm
— The Recount (@therecount) September 15, 2021