Ten publishers are responsible for 69% of digital climate change denial content on Facebook, a new study from the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) has found. The outlets, which the report labels the “toxic ten”, include several conservative websites in the US, as well as Russian state media.
- Breitbart, a far-right news site once run by former Trump strategist Steve Bannon
- Western Journal, a Conservative news site
- Newsmax, which has previously been sued for promoting election fraud conspiracies
- Townhall Media, founded by the Exxon-funded Heritage Foundation
- Media Research Center, a “thinktank” that received funding from Exxon
- Washington Times, founded by self-proclaimed messiah Sun Myung Moon
- The Federalist Papers, a site that has promoted Covid misinformation
- Daily Wire, a conservative news site that is of the most engaged-with publishers on Facebook
- Russian state media, pushing disinformation via RT.com and Sputnik News
- Patriot Post, a conservative site whose writers use pseudonyms
On July 30, 2021, the Superior Court of Justice in Toronto found Kevin J. Johnston in contempt of court for repeatedly and deliberately violating its prior Order prohibiting his hate speech directed at Mohamad Fakih, the CEO and Founder of Paramount Foods. Following a separate sentencing hearing on September 22, 2021, Justice Myers sentenced Johnston to be incarcerated for 18 months beginning on January 4, 2022. (Source » Fakih’s Lawyers)
Kevin J. Johnston has been sentenced to 18 months behind bars for publicly branding Mohamad Fakih a “terrorist” and a “baby killer” after being ordered to stop defaming the Paramount Fine Foods owner two years ago.
The sentence comes after Johnston was charged earlier this year with contempt for continuing to make racist, defamatory statements about Fakih, a Toronto restaurateur and philanthropist, despite an injunction by an Ontario judge in 2019 to stop.