Election day in Canada 🇨🇦
Federal election results (Live) » CBC
CBC declare another Liberal. At this hour (11pm Est) it is not known if it will be a majority or minority government.
On This Day
September 20, 1917
The Parliament of Canada passes legislation giving some women the right to vote in federal elections.
This right is limited to women who are British subjects; 21 years of age or older; and the wife, widow, mother, sister or daughter of any person, male or female, living or dead, who had served in the military. Another law grants the right to vote to some 2,000 military nurses, known as “Bluebirds,” stationed in Europe.
After the 1917 election, the government will extend this right to all non-Indigenous Canadians who are British subjects and 21 years of age or older.
- Whichever party wins on September 20, it’ll need to deal with right-wing populism — and a belief that government institutions do not represent “real people” » TVO
- Across the ideological spectrum, the far right continues to demonstrate the most negative sentiment on trust in government and is the most engaged on social media.
- Canada is making it harder to go whale watching and why that’s a good thing » National Geographic
- Video » UN Secretary-General António Guterres has a warning for disunited nations » GZERO
- “We are standing at the edge of an abyss.”
- UN to world leaders: To curtail warming, you must do more » AP
- Personal lifestyle choices are important in the effort to stem climate change — but not for the reasons you might think » Undark
- Our lifestyle choices should be viewed as acts of strategic mass mobilization. And they should be considered as one part of a broader toolbox of tactics that also includes advocacy, organizing, and protest.
Coronavirus / COVID-19 / Pandemic
- A vaccine summit must come up with a plan this week to transfer 100 million stockpiled COVID-19 vaccines to poorer countries before they reach their expiry date, former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said. » Reuters
- German Health Minister Jens Spahn said that a vaccine for children under 12 will likely be available from the first quarter of 2022 » DW
- Pfizer/BioNTech says jab safe for children aged five to 11 » BBC
- The researchers plan to submit the results to regulators to seek approval for vaccinating children younger than 12, the current age limit
- White House to require by November that foreign visitors to U.S. be vaccinated » The Canadian Press
- 75% of the world’s vaccines have gone to 10 countries Squared vs only 0.3% have been administered in low-income countries » Source » UN
- Cellphone data is so cheap in India, a 35 cent bag of chips includes 2GB free » iPhone in Canada
- The Kindle Paperwhite 5 will retail for CDN$149 for the 8GB model and CDN$209.99 for the Kindle Signature edition.
- Why there’s no CA in AUKUS » Kim Richard Nossal
- U.S. Extends Land Border Closure With Canada Until Oct. 21 » Forbes
Happy 70th birthday to the legendary Guy Lafleur!
- Updated » U.S. to ease travel restrictions for foreign visitors who are vaccinated against Covid » CNBC
- Earlier »
Rumour » US to lift travel ban on EU citizens » Politico Announcement expected soon.
- Earlier »
Together with my EU Member State colleagues, we have been working diligently to lift the #travelban on Europeans. Hope there’ll be a positive announcement soon.
— Ambassador Stavros Lambrinidis 🇪🇺 (@EUAmbUS) September 20, 2021
- City of the future » 🚴🏽♂️ There are over 1000 kms of bike lanes in Paris
- Hotel Rwanda hero Paul Rusesabagina convicted on terror charges » BBC
US War Machine
- America’s War on Terror » Since 9/11 » The human costs in affected countries are staggering: almost a million dead, and 38 million refugees or internally displaced people. Meanwhile, a select group of US-based arms companies benefited immensely » GZero
US Failing Democracy & Corruption
Longtime Capitol Hill reporter quits after Jan. 6, “doubtful that traditional, objective-style journalism is up to the job of covering today’s politics and government.” https://t.co/9lOW8Enehv It normalizes and sanitizes, he believes, and “can often obscure the reality.”
— Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu) September 18, 2021
- The three conservative Democratic lawmakers threatening to kill their party’s drug pricing legislation have raked in roughly $1.6m of campaign cash from donors in the pharmaceutical and health products industries » The Guardian
- Shocking that this is news ⤵️
New @nytimes investigation: Giant accounting firms send their officials into the government, where they water down tax rules in ways that help their firms’ clients. Then they return to those firms, which double their pay. @JesseDrucker @dannyhakim https://t.co/mOt2qZiAbm
— David Enrich (@davidenrich) September 19, 2021
21 minute documentary.