Tom Scott was wrong.
September 16, 1970
The Savoy Hotel in London played host to the 1970 Melody Maker Poll Awards, where Led Zeppelin displaced the Beatles in the most popular group category.(The first time the Beatles had not been ranked #1 in eight years). Robert Plant was also voted best male vocalist.
John Bonham and Robert Plant make a rare appearance on TV, interviewed for BBC’s Nationwide.
IQAir‘s 5th Annual World Air Quality Report reveals alarming details of the world’s most polluted countries, territories, and regions in 2022.
For this year’s report, data from more than 30,000 air quality monitoring stations across 7,323 locations in 131 countries, territories, and regions was analyzed by IQAir’s air quality scientists.
Key findings from the 2022 World Air Quality Report (Download the full report):
- Six countries met the World Health Organization PM2.5 guideline (annual average of 5 µg/m3 or less): Australia, Estonia, Finland, Grenada, Iceland, and New Zealand.
- The top five most polluted countries in 2022 were:
- Chad (89.7 µg/m3) more than 17 times higher than the WHO PM2.5 annual guideline
- Iraq (80.1 µg/m3) more than 16 times higher than the WHO PM2.5 annual guideline
- Pakistan (70.9 µg/m3) more than 14 times higher than the WHO PM2.5 annual guideline
- Bahrain (66.6 µg/m3) more than 13 times higher than the WHO PM2.5 annual guideline
- Bangladesh (65.8 µg/m3) more than 13 times higher than the WHO PM2.5 annual guideline
- A total of 118 (90%) out of 131 countries and regions exceeded the WHO annual PM2.5 guideline value of 5 µg/m3
- While the African continent saw an increase from 13 countries represented in 2021 to 19 countries included in this year’s report, Africa remains the most underrepresented continent. Only 19 countries out of 54 countries have sufficient air quality data
- The region of Central and South Asia was home to eight of the world’s ten cities with the worst air pollution
- Lahore is the most polluted metropolitan area of 2022. It ranked #15 in 2021
- Chile became home to eight of the region’s top 15 most polluted cities
- The most polluted city in the U.S. was Coffeyville, Kansas. The most polluted major U.S. city was Columbus, Ohio
- California was home to 10 of the 15 most polluted cities in the U.S.
- Las Vegas, Nevada was deemed the cleanest major city in the U.S.
- Canada’s cleanest city in 2022 was Schefferville, Quebec
- Canada most polluted city in 2022 was Clearwater, British Columbia
The Olympic Games will take place from July 26 to August 11, 2024.
The Paralympic Games will take place from August 28 to September 8, 2024.
New research has revealed that individuals who ate a Mediterranean-like diet had up to 23% lower risk for dementia than those who did not.
They conclude that based on their data, a Mediterranean diet that has a high intake of healthy plant-based foods may be an important intervention to incorporate into future strategies to reduce dementia risk.
Dr. Janice Ranson, at the University of Exeter, joint lead author on the paper, said, “The findings from this large population-based study underscore the long-term brain health benefits of consuming a Mediterranean diet, which is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats.
“The protective effect of this diet against dementia was evident regardless of a person’s genetic risk, and so this is likely to be a beneficial lifestyle choice for people looking to make healthy dietary choices and reduce their risk of dementia. Future dementia prevention efforts could go beyond generic healthy diet advice and focus on supporting people to increase consumption of specific foods and nutrients that are essential for brain health.”